Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Modding Tympani IV- basses?

Obviously some people are impervious to some aspects of audio performance, while some are hypersensitive to some aspects.

That is why I don't read the reviews for whether the device tested sounds better or worse than another or "real music" but only to the description of how it altered particular aspects of audio performance.

Crown has actually approached the issue of low switching rates and have a juxtaposed switching scheme technology for some of their class d amp series. So I would be more inclined to expect them to perform well.

That said, the main thing that audiophiles do badly is match power to speaker loads and sensitivity. Thus the amp that was exquisite with a Klipschorn is a mess of distortion on a Vandersteen. Many have tried underpowered amps that reviewed well to push their lead diaphragm infinite phase speakers. Then they pick up a cheap well designed pro amp and are blown away by the performance. It was the first time they had enough power on their speakers.

So I read the reports carefully to weed out equipment mismatches, serious weaknesses in the signal path. Some reviews and shootouts reveal more about strengths and weaknesses of other components in the system. One review convinced me to buy a component because the reviewer subsequently reviewed something else and was unaware that he ran the analog output through an AD/DA loop. I bought the HTP he was using.

Since I am triamping I get to test each amp that comes through on each role (assuming it is safe to do so) and have some idea of where the amp falters or outperforms or simply doesn't match the others.

I have not done well with a crown XLS or Nuforce amp on the tweeters, the grain and loss of resolution is obvious. Mids did well with the Nuforce, less so with the XLS - unless I took down the crossover below 5khz. I returned it to guitar center the next day (it was used on stage and looked it so I was not worried about breakin).

I prefer how the linear Crown Macrotechs do bass over the the XLS I tried. I use a Crown 5002VZ for the bass.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Modding Tympani IV- basses? - Satie 07:28:56 12/17/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.