Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Modding Tympani IV- basses?

Amplifiers make no sound- systems make sound. And the interaction between amp and the rest of the system can vary greatly from system to system. Add to that variance the wide disparity in personal preferences and you will come to understand why there is no "best amp" and why there are supporters and detractors for all amps and amp topologies.

There are undoubtedly class a, class ab, and class d amps that would work to your satisfaction in your system. Take the generalizations from others regarding these topologies with a grain of salt as there are many differences within each just like all Hondas or Chevies are not the same.

When it comes to Hypex ncore, many people have preferred it to Pass and other well known class a amps. Many have also preferred it to well known tube amps like BAT, AR, etc. And many have preferred it to other class d amps like those using Ice or Tripath modules. Some have preferred it to the newer modules by Anaview and Pascal. Of course, others haven't.

Right now on audiocircle, many are touting the Crown XLS class d amp series as sounding as good as amps at 10X the price-they are very cheap (around $400!). I haven't heard them but many are very excited about them. For the price, maybe worth a listen...

This underscores the simply truth that only YOU can know what will work best in your system. The most objective, non-biased advice you can get is to try as many amps as you can until you find "the one". You wouldn't let someone tell you what music is "best", an amp or any other component is no different...

Edits: 12/17/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.