Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Modding Tympani IV- basses?

I intend to seek out an Ncore, hence the interest. But I was disappointed that they had not increased their switching freq. Others have I am told.

What you want for the top end - It largely depends on your listening volumes.

I like tubes on top so there are only older amps to use in that price bracket. Hybrids are interesting too. Davy (UK) likes the Audio Innovations 500 integrated and the 1000 power amps. The Art Audio Concerto (Mk II in particular).

The next favorite are JFet MOSFET amps. Pass designs being the unrealistic favorite, then the Classe DR amps DR 9 model 10, but these are really old now. A cheap option with close performance at the top end - but very dependent on their power cables and power conditioning are the Fosgate Audionics amps Fosgate 4000 series, the later FAA 1000.5 multichannel amps. Also in this MOSFET family are the NAD 208 - packed with power and well balanced. Other amps that are likely less likely to be found in EU are Hafler 9300/9500 and later models.

Small class A amps at about 50W @8 ohms. Like the Krell KSA 50 and Forte 4. I am sure there are more domestic models built like they are.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.