Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Tympani 1-D, IIIa tweeter and custom foil mids using DCX2496

I have some great news from Magnepan. They have agreed to rebuild my IIIa panels with foil using the foil that Roger recommended. I was really happy to hear the good news when Sheila called me. Magnepan is such a great organization, and their techs are awesome. What company would agree to modify their factory specs for a panel that will be placed in a custom built frame, and charge just normal rebuild prices? I don't think there are many companies that would do that. Maggie also approaches this with the utmost respect for their users. The foil is the same as used in the 20 series mids according to what Sheila told Roger. I can't wait to get them back, plus they will have all new mylar and anything else they need including new bass wire. I will keep you all posted on their progress and what they sound like when they return. I say they as I will be sending in the other panel soon so that I will have a matching pair. We also discussed the possibility of a foil bass of some sort, but Sheila thought that it just would not work with these and had no suggestions to pursue. But we did talk about it, and she seemed open to any other ideas. I am very impressed with Magnepan as a company, and of course, their speakers. As I mentioned in a previous post, I want to keep these speakers as three way speakers that are not dependent on others for completion. Just in case I want to sell them in the future and upgrade. That was always part of my intensions in the beginning. That does not mean I won't use them with my Tympani's. It is all part of a process of growth and learning for me as well, but is the primary reason I don't want to mod the bass to the extent that I cannot sell them as a three way complete speaker. Thanks again to all for the guidance.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Tympani 1-D, IIIa tweeter and custom foil mids using DCX2496 - computerman 14:53:31 12/16/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.