Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: off topic to the tympani discussion

I think what you are getting in the sense of more concrete thick midbass and lower mids and the box like thickness to the sound there is the result of changing from cardioid to side-pole or cross cardioid pattern that is like a half of an omnidirectional - like a box speaker is omni' below a certain frequency. But with the other half circle of radiation being out of phase.

If the half-omni idea is a useful model, then pulling the "wing" inwards to make a "T" with the center (or a bit less than center) of the front facing bass panel might improve timing (take it as a WAG) as it gets the "virtual" center of the half omni closer to the centers of the two panels. It would also get the tweeters away from the sidewalls, which I think is important. Of course there are all sorts of reflection issues that were confined to the back waves which might spoil things, but it is worth a try.

I guess you will need to lift the side speakers with little blocks to get over the front speaker's legs, if you have not done so already.

If I come up with any more speculations and potential tweaks to the setup I will post them.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.