Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: off topic to the tympani discussion

Yeah, my third iteration toed the front speaker in (the 3.7i definitely likes toe in). This got the bass panels more in line rather than stretching the bass backward and muddying up the time alignment quite so much. Still not world class bass though.

So the fronts are angled directly at me about seven feet apart. The sides are currently at almost a Roose set up with I would guess a 110 degree angle or so off the fronts. This places the tweets on the side firing speakers within 15 inches of the side wall. I experimented with some absorbing materials on the side walls.

The resulting sound is definitely not bass heavy. Indeed I can get more bass by adding my DWMs (which I am not using currently). There is still a small and pleasant presence dip which seems inherent in the 3.7i in my room (the newest Maggies are much smoother than my 25 year old pair). I kind of like the very mild boost over 5000 hz.

I suspect the Achilles heel of this setup is I can't get both the bass time aligned and the upper range side firing at the same time.

That said, it really sounds realistic. Guitars are THERE. Brass is palpable. Vocalists have weight and air around their heads like I have never heard before.

Oddly, in a way, the MaggieS sound more like a conventional speaker than normal. The operative word seems to be less EPHEMERAL.

I have not tried tweets to the front as I fear it will stretch the bass out even more. I can though.

Any other ideas? Does anyone else have two pairs?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.