Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: off topic to the tympani discussion

Wow!

I connected two pairs of three series to my amp and the results are pretty startling.

I first set the older 3a's at a 90 degree angle. The 3.7i's were parallel to FW about 7.5 feet into room tweets in. The 3a was parallel to SW and about 30 inches in and tweets to the rear. This sounded interesting and full but had a Venetian blind effect on frequency with huge dips and peaks. So, I angled the side speakers out in a Rooze type configuration. This fixed the frequency anomalies with the single exception of a narrow suck out of 7 Db at 100 hz. Frequency is now flat from 20 to highest treble with the exception of this single valley (I have a sub for lowest frequencies). It does rise a bit at 5khz and above compared to the 3.7 alone.

The sound is more full. More three dimensional. More real. The soundstage goes WAY beyond the side of the speakers. Making even old fashioned hard panned stereo sound amazingly life like. In general, it pulled the music forward a bit compared to the 3.7i alone.

The only time I ever heard anything similar was with the large MBLs at shows. To clarify -- other than the width of the stage -- the effect Isn't an enlarging of the stage, it is a fleshing out of instruments and vocalists. Everything becomes more substantive and less ethereal. I know longer hear what Paul McCartney sounds like, it now sounds like Paul (and his blackbird) is in the room. Eerie.

It doesn't seem to be much louder, but it seems to have more weight for the volume setting.

However, the bass is not quite as tight as before. There is now also a hint of upper mid glare (possibly a symptom of the 3a being added to the ultra smooth 3.7i.)

I am using an Emotiva XPA1 rated at 1700 watts into two ohms and it is running cool with no strain. Soon I will try running a separate set of amps to the side firing speakers, but this is mainly for peace of mind and ease of comparing it with and without the second pair.

I need to see what further tweaking will do. Messing now with toe in and side wall treatment. Very interesting.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.