Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Tympani 1-D, IIIa tweeter and custom foil mids using DCX2496

I don't think it is noise that bugs me, it is something else. Decimation and filter issues, both digital and analog that seem to be the prime cause of the irritation. None of these can be removed entirely from PCM playback, though they can be ameliorated by doing higher recording sample rates and better resolution (24 vs 16). I am tolerant of noise and to quite a bit of distortion. Even hearing it as distortion I can still enjoy music through it.

Converting PCM to DSD is like smoothing out the decimation error and the playback requires no digital filters and only a high freq filter. It avoids the chopped up transients that decimation creates. I always suspected that was the main problem of digital for me, with DSD smoothing it out and avoiding the bulk of analog filtration and doing away with digital filters altogether the bulk of the problem is hidden from the ear. The little loss of detail is not a big tradeoff. The clearer and more present high freq are a godsend. DSD sounds more like real music. DSD recordings are obviously better even as a source for PCM downsamples.

I am not particularly surprised that the Behringer sounded better than a high phase commercial analog XO. The Behringer does not have phase and you set it on 1st order. So if you are not particularly sensitive to digital artifacts then you would be better off using it. Mini DSP with upgraded parts was reported to sound as good as the Behringer. That does not indicate that a stock version would.

Is the Twin a DAC or ADC and DAC for a matching DAW? I have been looking at the Tascam DA 3000 as long time analog master users have been pitching or deep storing their tape machines in favor of this unit. It records 2XDSD and seems to have top quality sound. The chipsets and electronics are similar/identical to the Teac UD 501. The downside is that you have to play it from SD or USB flash cards so the convenience of PC audio is lacking.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.