Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Tympani 1-D, IIIa tweeter and custom foil mids using DCX2496

I believe the 3.x models have a lot of IMD issues because of deep bass on the bass panel shaking the other "drivers". So IF your bass amp/s can handle a load below 4 ohms then I would run the IIIa bass panel in parallel with the T -1D bass panels BUT put a 1st order speaker level XO between them at somewhere between 100 and 150 hz. Just one BIG GAUGE coil to low pass the T-1D and one film cap to high pass the IIIa bass. You will probably end up having to put in a resistor on the IIIa bass panel to tone it down relative to the T-1D since it is 4 ohms and the T-1D is 8. very inefficient

The other (better) option is to get a medium powered amp for the IIIa bass panel and take the bass output from the DCX and split it at line level with a 1st order PLLXO at the same freq as above. You will need to have a volume control in the IIIa bass amp or add one in. You can also daisy chain the bass with another DCX2496 (you will need to add delay to the mid and tweeter channels to compensate for the second DCX's deay. You can also get a Rane or Ashly 2 way XO on the DCX bass output. They are very good in bass performance. And you can do a 4th order XO in the bass with no harm so long as you time align the 3 bass panels per side. They are quite cheap on the used market, and don't introduce a delay unless you dial in the Rane to have a delay.

You really don't want to have the output of 3 bass panels stretched over 5 feet without time aligning the panels or at least crossing them over to put the far away panel's output outside the imaging freq range.

Edits: 12/06/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.