Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Modding Tympani IV- basses?

Because that changes the radiation pattern and thus the distribution of room resonances. Any toe in moves energy from the long wall direction (and the low freq resonance of its length) to the short wall length, and reduces the portion of the output that catches the tangential wave (lowest freq resonance, and one you will only catch deliberately).

It is not that these modes are generally crucial, just that they fill out the bottom octave most impressively and more nicely than any dynamic sub I know of. So I am reluctant to let it go. As part of a Limage setup there is some compensation to the loss of imaging precision at low freq. Since this setup allows for the best balance of reflected and direct sound - at least if you can position the mid and tweeter close enough to the wall (again, the "ideal" distance seems to be a bit shy of 3 ft.) while the width of the speaker when setup in line puts the tweeter >4 ft.
You can place the mid/tweet in the split configuration with the bass panels at the closest bass loading position to the front wall, and fix timing issues with your DEQX, you just need to find the right placement and (slight) angle to avoid early reflections off the bass panels.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.