Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Tympani 1-D, IIIa tweeter and custom foil mids using DCX2496

1st, for your tweeter's safety use the HP shelving filter option on the DCX to cut it off steeply at something around 800 hz. That should allow most of the 1st order XO alignment to work over most of 2 octaves of overlap in the mid region without overextending the tweeter.

The midrange is ok with the 325 hz XO at 1st order. It is rather robust.

The bass panels should be both angled so that their distances to your listening spot are the same. It is significant for 1st order filters and should improve imaging once you have the time offsets implemented.

From your description of having the mids and tweeter towed in, I am assuming that you have them about equidistant from your seat. measure the distance from the center of the seat to the center of the mid panels and that from the seat to the center of each bass panel. (Hopefully you did manage to get the panels to be the same distance from the seat.) Then calculate the difference. you should be able to enter the difference in terms of distance or time (distance/speed of sound) in the delay for midrange and tweeter. That should allow for time alignment and improve imaging.

If, for some reason, the bass panels can't be set to be equidistant (say because of furniture placement or bass anomalies) then you would be better off cutting the bass off more steeply - with a 3rd order - try butterworth first and then try 3rd order Bessel and 2nd order Linkwitz Riley. You should try those with several ebow freq below that of the mid's high pass freq.

Try this out for a start and put together a drawing of your room so we can try and work out more favorable locations for the speakers and bass panels.

2-3 ft off the front wall is far less than optimal.

Read a bit about the Limage setup to see if it might interest you to pursue this avenue. I like it a lot.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.