Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Tympani 1-D, IIIa tweeter and custom foil mids using DCX2496

Hi Satie, long time since we talked. I really appreciate your comments. I will do my best to answer your questions. The drivers are not time aligned at this moment. I do have some plans for that in the near future as the budget allows. i was thinking of implementing the miniDSP Dirac live perhaps as on option. The drivers are about as evenly spaced in terms of distance from the wall. The "Frankenpans" are angled towards the center just a bit about a foot from the outside edge to the inside edge. The Tympani's are on the outside of the arrangement. with the outside panel angled in a tad. I have played with this some I would post a picture of the setup, but I guess because i have not participated in a while, I am not allowed to post anything. The setup is not ideal as far as listening goes in general as there is too much furniture in the room. I am moving soon and that will change for the better. Time alignment would be a great improvement i am sure. The tweeters are towards the center, then the mids, followed by the 1-D's near the outer walls. They are all about 2-3 feet from the back wall. Given our furniture placement needs at this time, that is about the best arrangement we can make. I have experimented with placement of the Tympani's in relation to the back wall and i believe they are at the best location they can be. i could certainly be wrong about that. Before the DCX I used a TDM-24CX-3 a three way production type crossover. The DCX2496 produced an immediate improvement. I have been experimenting with crossover points and slopes. Right now i am using a butterworth 6db slope with crossover points at 323 and 2.4k. That seems to sound the best so far, but truthfully I am just beginning to be familiar with the configuration of the DCX. It has not been modified and is totally stock. I am, of course tri-amping. I am also using the software configuration tool which I find far superior so far than trying to set these by the front panel. I have a sub and it is set through my Sunfire TGP-5 pre/pro to 40 HZ cutoff I believe. I do not use it much if at all as the Tympani's seem to provide most of what I need for bass so far, and I do believe Magnepan to be correct in their recommendations not to use one. I have considered using the IIIa's in a bass configuration, but one of the panels may have a mylar issue. I plan on pulling the panel next week and sending it into Shirly at Magnepan to have her look at it. It could possible be a loose cross brace also, but the wiring was totally redone when we made these so there are no issues with loose wires. Keeping my fingers crossed on this one. I will know more next week. The other alternative I have been contemplating to the DCX2496 is the miniDSP 4x10 hD, as they are not that much more expensive. I would not keep the DCX if I did this. I wanted to give the DCX a fair trial before considering the miniDSP and do some more research. The other option would be to keep the DCX and get it modified should i find it a good performer if this would improve performance significantly. I would also like to use REW to do some measuring if it would be worthwhile, but it is time consuming, and not a commodity I have in abundance at this time. Thanks again for the questions. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.