Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: I Don't Recall My Exact Words...

I don't think my room can handle the Xtreme XD subs. It is only 17X20(-). The Tympani bass panels when arranged for maximum wall reinforcement and set to catch the room's tangential mode delve below 20hz and have a broad 3-6db elevated hump at 25-40 hz that I EQ down when playing from PC. Organ pedal notes can overwhelm my room not to speak of rattling stuff everywhere. I am not sure the Whisper alone would fit with 8 giant woofers sandwiched in there. I would probably never be able to make use of their potential.

I ran my midrange array naked for a while, without crossover both on its own and with the tweeter and bass cut off sharply with LR4 filters. This convinced me that I want something without a crossover anywhere near the midrange so that leaves pretty much only electrostats to do the nearly 2 decades required. My midranges can do 250-6khz but have limited dispersion past that though on axis they go to nearly 12 khz. The midrange sensitivity is about 96 db. They don't distort in that range till >110db output (when cut off steeply at 250hz), which is plenty for a midrange. Can the King III do that sort of thing? or is that just not possible still? I know the MG20.7 mids distort before that level.
My original Tympani mids distorted audibly and obviously at below 103 db. The bass panels distort past 105db and heavily past 110db but still provide useful output past that point if they are properly braced to the wall. That with a 2kw/ch commercial amp. I don't have measurements or direct experience with the MG20.7 set up for optimal wall reinforcement. Most people would not even consider placing them that way. But I think the drivers bottom out before that.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I Don't Recall My Exact Words... - Satie 23:51:31 11/27/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.