Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Did you give up on subwoofers for Quad ESL-63s?

Thanks for your time, Kent,

I have tried the ubiquitous Behringer "digital" crossover and found it fine running the top end full range...the Behringer does awful things to the top end signal.

Unfortunately, the Behringer lasted about six months before it developed a problem that caused it to shut off on its own.

The LP 1 is putting along after 30 or so years.

For me the only drawback of the LP 1 is that the crossover point for the top end of the system is fixed by either a cap or resistor or a combination based on the input impedance of the top end amp.

Which means that to put my tube amps into the system periodically I have to change a cap...or ignore the crossover point.

You are right about the effect of that series cap. All the caps in mine have been upgraded to Kimber Kaps. This small change made the impact of running the top end through the LP 1, as I said, almost imperceptible.

And a matter of taste. Some days I run the Quads full range, some days through the LP 1, not really sure which I prefer...yet.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Did you give up on subwoofers for Quad ESL-63s? - louie3 10:18:16 11/21/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.