Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Did you give up on subwoofers for Quad ESL-63s?

The Gradient was OK for its day, just OK. There were better systems available even then. But it physically mated well with the Quad, was pretty much plug-and-play, did improve things in some ways and was relatively affordable compared to better options. It did sully to some extent the qualities that attract people to the Quad in the first place.

In the here-and-now there are significantly better woofer systems available. If implemented correctly they can indeed extend the bottom end, provide improved system dynamics and not screw up the Quad.

I won't give any specific recommendations for woofers there are many good systems available depending on one's budget. Even budget units can be quite impressive. The key is to blend them in as low as possible, 40Hz or so in most cases, and let the Quad run full range, no crossover filter on the Quad. Two subs will produce the best results even at a low crossover point.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.