Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Mini Maggies for rear surrounds?

I chose the Rhythmik F12 over the Rel for 2 reasons: 1. I wanted a sealed box servo sub as opposed to one with either a port or passive radiator. The Engineers that I work with told me a sealed sub has less "impulse smear" than a sub with 2 sources of physical output (cone and/or port/passive radiator). They also told me servo control when properly implemented can improve transient response and eliminate some ringing and decay time. I am not a techno scientist but their arguments made sense to me.

2. The published spec of the Rel T9 is -9dB @ 28 Hz (in room) as opposed to Rythmik's -2dB @ 14 Hz (not specified: in room, anechoic, or free space). Despite my non techno thinking I do understand the Rythmik goes substantially lower, nearly an octave ... according to the manufacturers specs.

Both brands seem highly regarded so your choice is .......... your choice! I do love my Rythmik, it blends amazingly well for music and is astounding in theatrical playback. War of the Worlds physically bounces our seats as my old homes floor joists and room are energized. You should see the expression on my guests faces. Then it can be truly subtle and delicate, even "tuneful" when playing music.

The MC-1's published frequency response is 80-24kHz. I cross over to the Rythmik @ 80 Hz. Subjectively it feels like it goes lower than 80Hz but we know better!

Yes I do listen to Hi-Rez downloads and SACD's using my Oppo BDP-103 as the front end decoder. I will admit to being disappointed with what little 5.1 mixes I have auditioned. I cannot seem to wrap my head around (pun intended) the amount of discrete material that is presented in the back channels. I would prefer to hear room ambience/decay instead. I guess I prefer an audience perspective as opposed to an onstage perspective. If you would kindly recommend your favorite 5.1 mixes (I love Pink Floyd) I would purchase one and listen in respect to you and your taste.

You make an interesting point about the XPA-3. In my case I already owned the XPA-5 before I purchased the XPA-2. As an experiment I wanted to hear what the additional power the XPA-2 affords when listening to 2 track music through my 1.7's. It was an improvement but it was very, very subtle.

The big revelation was the improvement my CC5/DWM combo showed in 5.1 now that the XPA-5 no longer had the chore of driving everything. My center channel became astoundingly strong/coherent/deeply voiced/detailed/ and authoritative. I always felt my center was ..... to be blunt .... on the anemic side. I tried Magnepan's center channel wiring "scheme" for about three months. It was better, less thin and veiled, but I had center channel soundstage image, focus, and phase issues that bothered me more than the "anemic lightness" I was trying to eliminate. The XPA-2 purchase was a stroke of good fortune with it's unintended results.

A subsequent call to Magnepan to tell them of my success resulted in the following info. The CC5/DWM combo is seen by the amp as a slightly less than 3 ohm load. Although my XPA-5 never became more than warm, and I never heard it sound stressed or compressed, it must have been "struggling" to drive my 6 speakers. I do listen on the louder side when watching movies.

So my advice to you based upon my experiences is to pay attention to your amplification needs when pairing a CC5 and and a DWM.

Please remember these are just my views, based upon my experiences in my room and with my equipment.

I apologize profusely for the length of this post, it was written with the love of sound, music, and equipment that we all share ...... that is why we are here at the asylum.

Edits: 11/19/14 11/19/14 11/19/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.