Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Maggie 1.6 Repairs Needed

Hi,
I have finally gotten around to removing the socks on my 14 year old Maggie 1.6's. I discovered they do need repair so I am looking for some guidance. The pictures show the condition of the speakers. I am unsure how the one wire in the middle became "looped", especially the right speaker. The left speaker has a hole in the mylar so that would explain the looping of the wire for that speaker but the right has no damage to the mylar. I suspect something poked thru the sock on the left speaker mylar as the sock was damage free in that area, meaning my cat did not cause that wire looping. I think the cat only got the tape on the left speaker. The speakers still sound fantastic although I do get a buzzing/flopping sound on certain deep bass sounds on the left speaker and only on certain songs at louder volumes. At lower (normal?) listening levels there is no buzzing/flopping sound....hard to describe that sound..and it is only on the left speaker. Oh, the wire loops at the top and bottom of the speakers are all firmly attached to the mylar. The only issue I can see is the looping of the one wire in the middle of each speaker. I have more pictures if desired. Also, I added a subwoofer since I first heard that odd sound. And, I am going to spike the speakers this week. Thanks for the help and answers.

What glue is best for regluing the tape? 3M? Dap? Or, is it best just to get new tape (duct?) and tape over the existing tape?

What is the best way to repair the mylar? Or, does this mean the speakers need to be returned to Magnepan?

Am I correct in that just the one looped wire needs to be removed completely from the mylar and reattached? And, what glue? 3M? Dap? Can just the one wire be removed and reattached?

Should I do anything else while the socks are off? Replace / upgrade the caps?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Maggie 1.6 Repairs Needed - NADStereo 22:57:47 11/18/14 (5)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.