Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Mini Maggies for rear surrounds?

Magnepan speakers in the rears require space. That's just the way it is. If you don't have space do as I did. Use a conventional speaker—provided, of course you have room correction software such as Audyssey. Do you? Which AV receiver are you using and what room correction does it offer?

One conventional speaker that would probably work is the KEF LS50, a contemporary incarnation of my LS3/5A's. It got great reviews (as main stereo speakers). $1500/pair.

If you want to try and see if the concept works, without spending $1500, get a pair of the Pioneer SP-BS22's. Designed by Andrew Jones, a Brit who worked for KEF and designs $80,000 speakers for TAD, the Pioneers sound great. I've helped 4 of my friends set up their home theaters using these speakers. In fact, one of my friends uses BS41's (a discontinued larger brother of the BS22) as surround speakers with Magnepan MMG's in front. The B22's are about $130/pair, but they go on sale often for substantially less.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.