Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Mini Maggies for rear surrounds?

I own Mini Maggies and I actually use them as a center channel. :)

The difficulty in using Mini Maggies for rear surrounds is, Where do you put the DWM? The satellites by themselves don't go down far enough to function effectively as surrounds, IMHO. Surrounds should go down to at least 80Hz and the Mini Maggie satellites don't come close (neither do MMGW's, by the way).

Or, are you saying you're going to separate the Mini Maggie system and use the DWM as part of your CC5 center channel, and use only the satellites for surrounds? All I can say is try it, but I have my doubts due to the lack of low frequency extension of the satellites.

In my home theater I have an all-Magnepan lineup for the front: MMG's left and right and Mini Maggies as center channel. For surrounds, I have Rogers LS3/5A's. It works! I had doubts it would work, but I had the LS3/5A's on hand (since the 1970's really). I think the reason it works is due to the Audyssey room correction software in my receiver, an Integra DHC 80.3. Audyssey makes all my speakers work together.

Which means you could try small, conventional speakers that go down to at least 80Hz for surrounds as long as you have competent room correction software. Below 80Hz your subwoofer can take over.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.