Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Tympani IV vs IV-A?

'Satie' wrote:

"The manual and 30 hz figure is for the Tympani IVA (and IV - hardly anything is different) not for the 3.6; I never heard a 3.6 do satisfying Liszt on piano."

Liszt wrote a lot of soft, non-bass heavy (and relatively quiet) piano music, so IMO nothing extraordinary in the way of a speaker would be required to reproduce that - so your blanket statement (?) regarding Liszt compositions seems silly. I'm confident in that inmates here can improve upon the listening experience in and around using Maggies, however the OP inquired about the bass output of stock Maggies; Tymps IV, IV-A 2.X and 3.X. Similar to the majority of Maggie users (and not those in the asylum, excepting cases in which warranties remain in effect), I've only listened to stock Maggies.

In my listening room, 3.6s fail to 'turn me on' (using any program material), so I don't regard them as being good speakers. Even my dealer who installed them told me that there is much I'd have to get used to in order to enjoy the 3.6, as compared to my IV-A, at least in my listening room.

(I have a recording of Mahler's piano quartet, 1876 (DGG 447112), which I don't think requires a sub-woofer to satisfactorily reproduce. Coincidentally, many years ago when I told my dealer [who naturally is in business to sell equipment] that I was interested in buying sub for use along with my IV-A he jokingly replied 'what for?, your IV-A is a sub!)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.