Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

This argument smacks of some engineers' belief that if they can't measure it...

...a difference doesn't exist (hereafter 'IICMI'), which I find to be HIGHLY arrogant. It presumes that they believe they know exactly what to measure (that is, that these measurements are reliable indicators of sonic quality, and that their machines and processes are perfect. If IICMI were true, we'd still be listening to not-very-musical-sounding amplifiers with THD&N of 0.001%.

Obviously there are sloppy AND there are careful ways to listen for differences, just as there are sloppy and careful ways to describe sonic differences*. Not all of us hi-end audiofools are golden-eared audiofools (GEAs), too, so some differences that some of us hear simply can't be heard by others, even if we want to. This 'failure' brings me to the other aspect of high arrogance--those who state ridgidly that if they can't hear it, the difference doesn't exist. I don't claim to be a GEA; I hear some differences fairly quickly, others I have to work at to hear, and some I can't hear. But I still come to conclusions on sonic quality over time, and as a result of my willingness to try to improve my system and its parts, my system is the best-overall-sounding system I've ever heard. Other GEAs I respect have told me that my system is the best they have ever heard. But I'll still be trying to improve it.

* Those I laugh at and stop reading are described as, for instance, making the music totally different or making night-and-day differences.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.