Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: I believe all inmates would agree...

An off the cuff comment....

I have a pair of IIIa's and a pair of newer 3.7i's and I can quickly swap them out. The newer speakers really are better (though not in low bass.) They are also much, much finickier.

When I swap speakers I am bypassing the upgrade from IIIa to 3.3; from 3.3 to 3.5; the huge changes (according to the audiophile press) from 3.5 to 3.6; the revolutionary change to ribbons in the 3.7 and now the mysterious upgrades to the i's. Yes the new speakers are better in most ways, especially in the midrange. But the improvement over 27 years really is not all that dramatic to these ears. If I was to score the two speakers I would probably give the older model an 8.5 and the new one a 9 or 9.5.

Every time a new model comes out we hear how much better the new one is and how many defects the old one had that nobody commented on at the time of its release.

I guess my point is really that the old models are smoking good deals (especially it you can bi-amp) For the cost of a cheap mass market box surround sound speaker, we can buy old Maggies that sound phenomenal. The best buy in audio may be used Maggies.

And no. My IIIa's are not for sale. And yes, I am glad I bought the new speakers. The improvement was worthwhile.

One guys opinion...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I believe all inmates would agree... - Swamis Cat 10:36:07 10/16/14 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.