Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Budget amp (850-1300 bucks) for Magnepan MG 12

Go for the Peach Tree Nova if you can swing it. Its a very nice sounding amp with very good air and transparency. It has the added bonus of the Sabre DAC. You will appreciate the power of the Peach Tree. I have a pair of 1.6's and MMG's with I pair with a Pass Labs X250 and a Parasound A21 (500wpc and 400wpc respectively) and the speakers sound great. I tried some lower powered amps (125wpc) with the speakers and things sounded good but not great. Maggies can sound very good with lower powered tube amps and low power high current SS amps at low to moderate volumes. I listen to a lot of very dynamic music at low to loud volumes and the higher powered, high current amps make them sing.

I also think that the Peach Tree will be more reliable than Emotiva. How ever the Emotiva will give you the versatility of adding a preamp of your choice. A tube preamp is the way to go with Maggies in my book. I use a BAT Vk-51se with my Pass amp and 1.6's along with a tube DAC. I also use a Van Alstine tube preamp with my MMG's and Parasound amp.

Good luck with what every you choose as there is not right or wrong answer, just listen with your ears and brain.

Larry

Edits: 10/15/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.