Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Budget amp (850-1300 bucks) for Magnepan MG 12

Saludos Amigo!

It's hard to give advice on amplification requirements for Magneplanar speakers because there are so many elements that go into that. Size of the room, what kind of music, preferred listening levels, how far one sits from the speakers, absorption/reflection in the room subwoofer available? and so on.

I have 3 pairs of Maggies, in different rooms: 1.7's, MGI, and MMG. I find that the room with 1.7's (14X24 with 9 ft ceiling) sounds great with my CJ MF 2300A amp which has been tested at 480 watts per channel into 4 ohms. BUT, it also sounds fine with my Jolida 501P tube amp which is rated at 60 watts per channel (TUBE power). And amazingly it also sounds very good when I use my Creek 4330 as a power amp (60 Watts per channel at 4 ohms but high current).

For my MGI's I use Emotiva UPA 1 monoblocks - 350 watts into 4 ohms and they sound quite fine ( this is the TV room)

The MMG's I use a Marantz 1060 - 30 watts/ch (my office setup) here, the Marantz is right about at it's limit and I have to watch the volume or it starts distorting. But it sounds wonderful as long as I don't turn it up too loud.

So as you can see, the range is quite wide...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Budget amp (850-1300 bucks) for Magnepan MG 12 - ejman 17:00:19 10/10/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.