Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: buying electrostatics on eBay, beware

Beware of buying used electrostatics ANYWHERE, not just ebay.

Any Quad ESL that is -- you can just about bet your butt that they will need rebuilding. And why not, after 25 years or more?

Maybe, just maybe you can find some ESL-63's later that still work, but it's still a matter of time before they need attention, especially if you like to crank them even a little.

For an original ESL (57), KNOW they will REQUIRE a rebuild, and at a minimum will require ~$1200 or more of your hard earned money (assuming you do a lot of the cosmetic work and do everything but rebuild the panels). You may even find a pair of them that seem to play fine, but you will not know the true potential until they are refurbished.

Bottom line -- only buy Quads with the intent on having to spend some money. Do your homework; know what the cost is.

And people REALLY think they are worth >$1000 if not rebuilt? BaWhaahaha! I got my ESL's for $275 plus the cost of driving 8 hours each way and a hotel room! And then spent ~$2k for the rebuild. Worth every penny and are beautiful!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: buying electrostatics on eBay, beware - StevieRay 17:21:02 10/07/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.