Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Flash: Super Tweeters for QR Maggies

I thought I would turn a few interested people on to one of my discoveries, adding a super tweeter to the Maggies that use the Quasi ribbon, mainly because they do lack that extra bit of 'air'.

After first trying a pair of Linaeums, I quickly ditched this attempt. They don't sound very convincing. Past experience with Heil's led me to order 2 of the partsexpress Heil tweeters at about $26 a pop. They are quite small without the attached grill, about 1 1/2 ", and my vision was to try them on the side of the speakers (about in the middle), and see what would be.

I ended up positioning them behind the Maggie tweeter ribbon itself, and thought they sounding promising this way. I ended up just hanging them with some wire on the rear cloth for now. They seem perfect for super tweeting and are more efficient than the maggies, so padding them down with an L-pad to limit the level along with a 1uf cap is necessary.

Properly adjusted, they give everything the stock tweeters lack, that last bit of 'air' that my 2.7 Quasi's don't possess, and they actually reflect off the rear somewhat to make up for the lack of bi-polar-ness.

It won't cost much to try them, and I think most of you will be gratified with the improvement.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Topic - Flash: Super Tweeters for QR Maggies - Story 14:33:35 10/05/14 (4)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.