Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Strange but true subwoofer tales...

Subs are Monitor Audio FB210's, (active front firing 10", Passive down firing 10", front ported), have always been a good match with my 1.6's and blended well...fast little sub 250 watt A/B plate amp...When I had my HT set up, had 4 of these...not the deepest subs, but enough for me...(these were more seamless and tuneful than my friends Rel Storm III, Rel went quite a bit deeper thou)…

3.7's for 10 months without subs, very content with the fast tight bass I was getting, no bloat and no float...can semi-feel the bass at 85+db’s…no outline or edges…coherent…in my room 33-35…

Added my old subs about a month+ ago...observations'...in HK/Limage placement; 43% into the room…

First placement...Subs flushed out with the face of the speaker front firing, (as per JBen and others), 6" from the tweeter...this really surprised me...my mid-highs got fuzzy sounding, bad, with no extension...gaps in the sound stage, to the point I thought there might be something wrong in the rig…

Picture shows the Second placement, front firing where the fuzziness was eliminated, 16" back is where this worked best...this was the most visceral placement...but still had a little float N bloat and fairly localized at times...

Next was 4' behind, where it was at about a 45 degree angle towards the out site wall…This was by far the best placement overall…blended the best…
deepest, tightest location...

Now, the settings, (see pic); crossover is at about 48+/- kHz …gain is just past 8 o’clock, with 7 being 0…Phase is switched at be speaker terminals with Hi-Z off the amp, (CJ Pre, Phase needs to be inverted)…anything past these setting did not work anywhere in the room…

TV/Movies…with the 3db boost on for video…sense of space, an atmosphere more engaging…width, depth and height increased by 5%-10%, material depended…pushes the image forward on the edges, increases the space directly behind the speaker…vocals thickened not always for the better…

Find it more enjoyable, but not crazy about it…Volume TV wars effect this allot…Cutting the 3db boost…helped it in overall sound…things were reeled in, but not as engaging…
My whole rig, does not cease to surprise me with 3D spatial cues, just off 2-channel analog outs from TV/DVD…really nice…

I have played with sub(s) for years…stereo subs have always been much more significant improvement than just a single sub…IMHO

3db cut on for music, zoomed in, you liv with the settings for everything else…

Overall it is 5%-15% improvement on 6-7 out of 10 songs…playing random in 10 song chunk’s…
Here is the rub...the 3 or 4 songs that sounded bad, sounded really bad “usually”…it is material dependent, but the warts were on the subs and not the source…just cannot keep-up and bottom out on deeper material…

Is the Juice worth the squeeze??? I do not know as of yet…

I am going to turn them off for a while and see if I am missing what I have been hearing…sense of space with more frequency depth…

3.7’s, with no subs, in my room…has a firm definition of the bass, with more of cut, than a roll-off in the deeper register…toe tapping, coherently good sound…

IF I had more SQ/CU FT and non-condo living…I would put a pair of Rel G-2’s on the short list…
There it hangs…
Thanks
Mark

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Strange but true subwoofer tales... - Mark Man 13:00:23 10/04/14 (12)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.