Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Semantics

I think Magnepan speakers have sensitivity rating calculated "backwards" to 1 m. It is not a very good idea to measure them at 1 m, far better at 3 m or even more. When I compared with a conventional pair of speakers at my listening position (as mentioned earlier), I recorded a difference of 5 dB at a distance of 4 m to the 3.6. My conventional speakers are rated for 86-87 dB/m (real world numbers) and impedance is the same as the 3.6. The low rating for the 20.7 is really strangre but most reviews have no measurements at all.

I have also looked at the various Magnepan I have. There are partly different magnets and the distance to the conductors on the Mylar is also different. The differencies are small but they are there. Some speakers use heavier conductors, the old Tympani IIIA and the 3-series. The Tympani IVa has lighter conductors but as far as I can measure thicker magnets and spacers. Tympani IVa mids has curved back plates (allow for greater excursion), thinner Mylar and the diaphragm is partioned in smaller areas, low moving mass of these for sure.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Semantics - Roger Gustavsson 10:32:54 09/29/14 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.