Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

took the Apogees out for a spin

Sounded great, first time I've really been able to compare them to the MG20s. Bottom line is the Maggies have the better bottom (bass that is); granted the Duettas fall more in line with the 3 series but the bass they produce are extremely fast, taunt, palpable and accurate.

Best way I can describe the nature of the Duettas is they're fast and energetic. In fact you can tell their membrane gets 'excited' more than the Maggies do (if that makes sense). Instrument separation is superb, instrument placement always seem natural (not high and above as the tall MG20s tend to do on occasion). Vocals go to the Maggies however; they're more velvety, natural and luscious.

The sax on Brubeck's "Take 5" is right in the room; woody, breathy, and right on point. The drum solo lacked the depth and realness compared to the 20's but still sounded down right phenomenal.

The Duettas have better dynamics if that's what you're looking for; the Maggies (at least on the older 20s) have more -how should I put it: "smoother" dymanics IMHO.

Bottom line: the Duettas are World class no doubt and can still stand their own against many speakers-both box and planar made today.
Only downfall for me is they're friggin' heavy; they even smashed the wheels on the special dolly I made for em'!

components: Krell KSA 200s amp, Foreplay tube preamp, Sony blue ray DVD feeding into a Mark Levison No 36 DAC. Room: 18x20 speakers approx 5 feet from front wall, 3' from sides

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - took the Apogees out for a spin - Green Lantern 17:59:28 09/25/14 (36)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.