Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: 2.5 Project

Great speakers. When designing your frames, you might like to consider making a frame for the ribbon which is separate to the frame for the bass panel. This stops vibrations from the bass panel shaking the ribbon 'cage'.

My 'Frankenpans' consist of bass drivers from some 2.5s, combined with T-IVa mids & ribbons; the bass driver frame is completely separate to the mid/ribbon frame and when the bass is pumping, you can feel vibrations when holding the top of the bass frame (obviously! :-)) ) ... but you can't feel any on the mid/ribbon frame.

Separate frames deliver 2 additional benefits:

1. You can move one frame forwards or backwards relative to the other, to get the drivers time-aligned. If you have your ribbons on the outside, this means the ribbon frames are slightly forward of the bass frames.

2. The ribbon frames can be arranged at a different angle to the bass frames. I like my bass frames to be almost parallel to the front wall with the mid/ribbon frames (which are on the outside) ointing at my ears.

Regards,

Andy

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.