Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Summary article on importance of transients over pitch

The MTM arrangement does not require any particular crossover. In fact, the original D'Appolito scheme did not use a 4th-order acoustic network. It was designed as a 3rd-order network to facilitate a less abrupt change in power response. I've seen the MTM arrangement implemented as everything from 1st-order to 4th-order. :)
The MTM arrangement has some disadvantages but the primary advantage outweighs many of those.....IMO. The twin woofers add to a 6db sensitivity increase which generally matches that of many stock tweeters. Thus, you can usually design a crossover network with minimal/no attenuation on the tweeter and have system sensitivity approximately 6db higher than an MT version with the same drivers.

On the Froy design, the CR is not part of the notch filter and the system impedance curve follows that of a typical MTM implemented this way. There is no impedance leveling network employed on the Froy design. If there were you would see an LCR series network connected in shunt with the input terminals.

All LR4 crossovers exhibit a 360 degree phase shift. It has nothing to do with the drivers unless the crossover point is fairly close to the driver native acoustic roll-off point. You can see an excellent example of this with the Froy design.

Cheers,

Dave.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.