Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: A thank you and a question

Perhaps I should have said that the 20 series has a "near" level of performance to Tympani level performance in a smaller package. I acknowledge the Tympani IVa has a larger bass panel radiating area, which is certainly advantageous, but as the bass crossover is set to a higher frequency the position of the bass drivers is given away more easily which makes it harder to get the to work in a small room. Roger said that older Tympani III is one of the best Tympanis for a smaller room as the bass crossover is set significantly lower and is 4th order not 3rd order (which also helps),. No ribbon tweeter though of course. I guess you could play around with the IVa bass crossover somehow if you were biamping or triamping.

The 20 series has push pull bass drivers, which in theory is advantageous in terms of dynamics and punch, but yes the radiating area is less,- probably around 2/3s of the IVa.

Listening to speakers in different rooms does make it hard to give proper comparisons, due to slight differences in room dimensions and room/floor ceiling construction differences, and furnishings etc. Even if two rooms appear to be the same sort of size they can sound very different. Also a shame the dealer did not let you listen to the MG20 as loud as you'd ahev liked

I would be very interested to hear from someone who has heard both the IVa and a 20 series in exactly the same room and same setup.

The different crossovers also impart some significant differences. The Tympani IVa crossover is quite similar to the MGIIIa crossover, in that its voiced to have quite an "upfront" sound with quite a lot of output in the presence region. The 20 and 20.1 crossovers in comparison have a slight dip in that area, which (in my opinion) makes long term listening more pleasant. That would also certainly account for some difference in audition, you might have been very used to the way your IVas were voiced which could have been a factor in your opinion of the 20s. Someone might prefer the IVas if they prefer a more upfront sound and the 20s if they preferred a smoother, more relaxed balance. Personally, if I had kept my set of IVas I would likely altered the crossover slopes to voice things a little less aggressively.

Edits: 09/16/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.