Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Quad glue

I googled 3m marine adhesive and came out with 3m 5200 which is polyurethane based, and upon reading specs, it appears to take a good amount of time to setup and become tacky. Is this the stuff you used? I wound up using 3m 4475 which is also polyurethane and epoxy based, but upon use behaves much more like contact adhesive. Upon applying the stators to the frames, they setup really quick (very short time under clamps). Of course now I don't have a longevity statement on this yet, but I am interested in quick set type contact adhesives. I've read that Quad actually put their panels in an oven, admittedly for mylar tension reasons??' But perhaps for glue set reasons as well. Not sure. But I DO know that contact adhesives behave poorly under heat duress. I have seen contact adhesives that actually REQUIRE heat to setup as well. Thanks for sharing your info. I will have some info coming up as to the coating I used on the Mylar. Am thinking of doing a write up when done with project.
Andy

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Quad glue - akino 17:11:56 09/15/14 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.