Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Are my ears really that sensitive?

Hi Satie,

Sorry didn't see your post until now.
I hear what you say about the DSPs if they do degrade the sound somewhat. I know the older Behringer DXC2946 didgital crossover is very dated compared to modern DSP crossovers but I don't think I could have used that on the Maggie mid and tweeter to make subjective evaluations.

You are right, I am just tweaking what I have right now, and I freely admit that quite a bit of it is a shot in the dark, but I do quite enjoy that and eventually getting to something that works.

I do like single amp drive (being sensitive to coherence as you rightly say). Part of the trouble trying to get the drivers to blend well with biamping and triamping is having to do lots of experimentation with different power amps, crossover setups etc. That can take lot of time to get it to work well. For sound quality above anything else, PLLXO on the mid and treble is better than any active crossover in my view (and also better than single amp drive at speaker level), though it can be harder to blend PLLXOs with active bass due to delay issues etc. I might eventually go back to biamping or triamping in the future and really go for it and try to get something coherent, but for now I'm just tweaking the basic sound I've got with these MGIIIas in single amp drive. Ultimately I'm not sure if you'd ever quite the same degree of coherence of single amp speaker level passive drive with any multi amp setup, but with careful tweaking and matching I am sure you could get very close and also get the big advantages of biamping/triamping such as enhanced clarity and less distortion. I could likely also live with the latter.

Davey is likely right in that it could be easier and quicker to iron out the issue I am having with now, but only if I had the system set up already and knew what I was doing (and know how to transpose it well to passive components). The expensive of buying the DSP and more power amps along with the learning curve and time needed don't really make it viable for my situation right now (especially with single amp drive), but thanks for the advice Davey. It's certainly something I will bear in mind to try out in the future, especially if I do go back to a multiamp setup.

I will try flipping the tweeter polarity with the 18 6 (6 12) setup as per your suggestion now to see how that fares. Then think about the mid LP inductor change.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Are my ears really that sensitive? - Davy 13:16:25 09/15/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.