Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: A thank you and a question

I'm not sure of the exact specs of the 20.1 vs 20.7 drivers, as I don't think anyone has measured a 20.7.

Yes sorry I am probably talking nonsense about the foil being lighter. It does have other advantages though, like better adhesion, and better damping of the diaphragm.

I think the MG20 midrange (though single ended, not push pull like in the MG20.1 and 20.7) still uses the QR foil. I had intended to rewire the mids of either my 3.3Rs or MGIIIas with foil (I have 3 spools I bought from Magnepan 3 years ago), but I have not got around to it yet. If I ever do it I'll post about the difference. (but I might not bother actually as I'd rather sell both and get a 20 or 20.1)

I had some Tympani IVas for a while (which I completely rewired, a 1 month job) and those were problematic in a small room as the bass crossover is set quite high and the bass was too directional when you were sitting close to them. Just didn't sound right. You need a big room for them. That's why I like the 20 series. Although they are big the bass crossover is lower and hence the bass is less directional, so I think they could actually work OK in a smaller room if necessary (even though it's obviously not optimal). They 20s have a Tympani level of performance in a higher but "smaller" overall package.

Edits: 09/15/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.