Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Are my ears really that sensitive?

We have competing goals in mind. These have to be weighed against each other and I (not so Davy) can't stand mediocre DACs such as those in DSP devices. Using them makes my subjective evaluation useless as I focus on the irritating sound they produce - all I can do is say "I don't want this". I can easily tolerate wow, noise, hum, non linear FR and peaky mids, bloated bass, or overcooked highs, I can take lots of phase issues, I shut down with bad digital.

Though I suggested all along that Davy use REW to do the characterization of the drivers (I did it on spreadsheets a decade ago with manual measurements for my drivers) and work things out on the computer, but he did not want to redesign the speakers from the drivers up, but to tweak them. I knew that is what I would have to do from the get go, Davy did not and still doesn't intend to.

Davy is very sensitive to coherence and has gone back from multiamping to single amping. Your solution is a design tool instead of a tweaking/fine tuning of the FR and phase issues. I don't think that within the limited scope of Davy's goals he would benefit from creating a DSP and multiamp setup he can't listen to. Not to speak of the learning curve in using the measurement and dsp software which would not be in place for his final product.

Neither Davy nor I intend to be professionals in this field but to tweak what we have. I kept an adjustable PLLXO/hybrid XO so that I can change things on the fly for recordings and experimentation with positioning (Limage and Rooze setups that do better with tweaking of the XO to complement them because of timing issues with something so large as the T IV).

I had done the mod TIV/Neo8 with Marchand's XO and had excellent results. I liked what I heard with the naked Neo8 array and attempted to use it that way for a couple of years, but the practical limitations drove me to rework the XO again with the constraint of having a 1st order XO for the midrange.

Davy is trying to iron out a peakiness in the top of the midrange that is the flaw in an otherwise fine speaker that he likes. An all out redesign assault on the speaker is not what he wants to do.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.