Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Are my ears really that sensitive?

Thanks Satie. I think even with the new mid LP inductor value I'd still need to lower the midrange output level with a resistor. I see Andy used 30w resistors so that seems sensible.

Like I said I was not happy with the 18 6 6 6 crossover I put in the 3.3rs after not hearing it for a long time. Also way too much peakiness in the prescence region. It would need adjusting, maybe back to stock MGIII 18 6 6 12 (which actually worked well in them before, unlike in the iiia where the mid is too sucked out), or I might actually go back to the stock 18 12 18 12 crossover in them when I get the ribbon repaired. You are right things do start to sound a bit rough with third order on the mid LP but I would not mind trying it again anyway as it was designed for the speaker. Does not help that the cap Magnepan use in parallel on the mid LP is an electrolytic...

Wow you do listen loud. Front row of concert stuff! I remember that from before! Be careful with your hearing though!

Another option ( though it's harder to do as you have change all the values) are Bobwire's two 18 12 12 12 crossovers which are very flat. Much flatter than stock MG IIIa . I would probably want to introduce a slight dip in the prescence region if possible but I might play around with them in simulation to see. AndyR ran them in Lspcad for me a few years back and thought they looked extremely good. They might need the relative driver levels adjusting too.

Edits: 09/14/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.