Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Are my ears really that sensitive?

Been running some sims and things don't look too great increasing the mid LP inductor to 0.7 mH whilst running the stock external 18 12 setup with (with 3.5 mH inductor and 60uF caps on the external HP)
18 6 external with 60 uF HP caps looks better.

I think the problem I had with thinness increasing the external HP caps to from 35uF to 60uF with the first order external HP yesterday is that it increases the mid output meaning bass is less prominent. With a resistor on the mid it might work much better. The FR is quite flat with that particular config. When AndyR altered his MGIIa crossover he also had to use resistors so perhaps this is something to bear in mind. Increasing the caps higher to 75 or 90 looks even better but I'm not sure the mid would be happy running that low in first order.

If I used a resistor on the mid what wattage should I use? Several 10 watts in parallel or a much higher rating?

My other idea of adding an 2nd mid LP inductor to make it 3rd order won't work unless the present inductor is increased substantially in value, to 8mH or higher, whilst also increasing the parallel cap significantly to around 50uF. This is basically the 3.3 or 3.5 internal crossover setup. That's quite a bit of work.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.