Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Are my ears really that sensitive?

Hi Satie,

Many thanks for the advice. I will try flipping the polarity of the tweeter in the present 18 6 (6 12) spec and see what happens. (I didn't think it would matter but seems I was wrong) Thanks also for the tip of trying the resistor too to reduce peakiness. Could be worth a go as well. Not sure if that would work well though as the bass is already quite strong in stock MGIIIa. It might swamp everything with the mid reduced.

Otherwise I had another idea which is quite easy to do. Going back to 18 12 (12 12) stock MGIIIa xo setup but then simply increasing the midrange series inductor from 0.4 to around 0.7 mH or higher. This is similar to the mg20/20.1 internal crossover and looks good for reducing that peak on the spreadsheet. I have some 0.74 inductor I could use for this. They use 18 awg wire not 16, but I guess it should be ok for testing purposes. The tweeter cap in the MGiiia is a 10 uF paralleled with 2uF so I could disable the 2uF cap easily to make it more like mg20 spec. I'm not totally sure how this would blend with the stock MGIIIa external 18/12 crossover as the MG20 external is 18/6

This is also very easy for me to try so I think it's worth a go. Certainly easier than adding an extra inductor on the mid LP making that 3rd order as that might take a lot of playing around with the values.

Yeah bit of a mystery how Magnepan got the original MGIII crossover sounding good with that kind of midrange suckout. The lower and upper bass are too sucked out for sure.

Edits: 09/13/14 09/13/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.