Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

MMG-W buzzing

New member here. Bought my 4 MMG-Ws along with an MMG Center speaker for home theater back in 2004. One of the MMG-W panels started buzzing a few days ago, and was taken out of service. After reading Peter Gunn and searching this site, I took the sock off the panel to see what was wrong. What I found was many wires in about a ten inch zone near the middle of the panel that had disconnected from the Mylar. Further, some of those wires had bonded to the adjacent wire. I separated the bonded wires from each other so that the wires now are approx. back to their original parallel positions.

There is no discoloration of the adhesives and no gumminess, and the wires appear to be in good shape. The wires at both ends of the panel appear to be well adhered to the Mylar. The panel measures the expected 5 ohms of resistance.

So, my question is can I just re-glue the loose section with DAP, or do I need to go for a complete rebuild. I've read a lot of the posts available via a google search, but I did not see a clear cut answer to this.

Thanks for any help.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - MMG-W buzzing - pat_from_indy 09:55:15 09/12/14 (8)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.