Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Are my ears really that sensitive?

Success!!!!

I’ve converted my MGIIIa into MGIII spec by simply disabling the parallel midrange cap and replacing the external HP (originally 60uF caps and 3.5 mH inductor) with MGIII spec of 35uF caps only.
The sound has transformed. What it has done is remove the nasty 1-3 KHz peak I was having trouble with. I realise this is probably a combination of a few things happening, - the phase of the midrange being altered 90 degrees to the tweeter giving less constructive interference at the crossover point, and removal of the cap maybe doing other stuff.

Essentially these speakers now sound very similar to the MGIIIs my father used to have. Wonderfully extended treble but a (crucially) a non fatiguing sound.

Might it be a good idea to try to flip the tweeter polaity and see if there is any difference to the sound? I don’t think there should be much, but you never know until you try I guess.

One slight issue is that I find the treble a little too bright with a 0.51 ohm attenuation resistor on the tweeter, but the bass is already quite strong (stronger than it was with MGIIIa spec with that value resistor). If I increase the resistor (say to 0.54 ohms) the treble will probably be more to me liking but the relative balance of the bass is likely to become too strong I think (will try it though). I suppose biamping is a simple solution to this issue if it’s a problem (just need to get another power amp, I have the crossovers needed).

So there we have it. An pretty easy way to remove the nasty hard midrange peak your MGIIIas, and improve the top end if you have the 2 ohm tweeter and 1 ohm resistor. Disable the 10 (or 12) uF midrange cap, and decrease the tweeter resistor value. I recommend between 0.5-0.65 ohms depending on taste.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Are my ears really that sensitive? - Davy 14:42:51 09/11/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.