Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Are my ears really that sensitive?

Hi Staie,
Ahh yes I forgot you had an MF Dac. Must be quite smooth sounding (comparatively).
You obviously have a cartridge with a lively top end. Sounds nice. I think I did hear a 205 but can’t remember which one. Didn’t like it but that might have been partly as my MM capacitance was not optimal.

It's good the Neo midrange drivers don’t have the Maggie midrange bump and its possible to use the first order crossovers (or near to first order in the case you have now), without a bump in the presence region (like I am experiencing with both my MGIIIas stock and the 3.3Rs with my modded 18 6 6 6 crossover).
Your Rane active crossover sounds v useful on the bass to introduce delay. If I go active again I would want an adjustment like that.

I don’t know why digital does not sound as natural as vinyl on particular things like strings or piano. People have theories about quantization, the record deck adding nice distortion and other theories but there certainly is quite a difference and it can be hard to tolerate digital if you are very used to vinyl.
My point before was that (although it is difficult to do!) if you abandoned vinyl for a while and only listened to digital your ears would likely slowly adjust to the tone and the overall sound somewhat over time. I don’t think the two work that well side by side as the vinyl is nearly always going to sound preferable.

Also a lot of digital transfers of older stuff are not that great and the vinyl sounds way better. that is a problem. Some older classical recording are intolerable to me too. The newer recorded stuff seems a lot better on digital.

When you are talking about doing rips are you talking about ripping 44.1K/16 bit CDs? If that’s the case it is a bit strange that your rips are different in tone from Spotify or Pandora. It should really be the same I don’t really see why the tone would change even though the bitrate is lower with the streaming service (320 kps max with Spotify). That should not make a difference so I’m not sure what is going on there. Apparently Deezer are bringing out a 1441 kps cd quality uncompressed streaming service (on 15th September) which might be good. Though apparently most people can’t tell the difference between 320kps mp3 and uncompressed 1441 kps, the difference is probably quite audible on Maggies.

I’ve had success getting rid of the midrange peak with my MGIIIas!. Will do another post.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Are my ears really that sensitive? - Davy 14:33:44 09/11/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.