Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Are my ears really that sensitive?

My DAC is a musical Fidelity so is not voiced brightly and is quite smooth - it has the openness but not the extension of say the PS audio DSD DAC, which is also smoother and alive on top. The vinyl deck has a far stronger top end, compared to the DAC the vinyl is downright raucous while the digital is nowhere near that lively.

The tonal balance of my midrange drivers actually dips down 2db to 4khz and I moved the XO to 5khz which dictated a 2nd order HP, which is composed of a pole at 5khz and one at 250 hz to match with the mid HP. For bass I have been switching between the LR4 Rane 23 (has a delay adjustment to match phase) and 1st order.

Point is that the mids don't share the maggie bumps at 1 and 2-3 khz. I left a potentiometer in the midrange LP so that I could tune the 5khz combination bump out by ear.

This is all to say that the same DAC doing Spotify (or pandora) produces screechy violin sections and unfriendly sharp piano. Doing PC playback from downloads or rips produces slightly better results than the transports I use and there is by no means any hardness or grain. To the contrary, the top end is too quiet for my taste - unless playing Spotify or Pandora.

The cartridge I use, the 205C Mk4 is sporting a JICO SAS stylus, not the 206C that you heard. That does not produce the smiley shaped FR but is flat on top with a strong bass.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.