Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Are my ears really that sensitive?

"One thing I will say about the MGIIIa is that the bass (when they are run full range) is good. It's bigger and more punchy than the MG3.3Rs. Not sure why. The bass panel tension is different of course, - two buttons on the MGIIIa and one on the 3.3R and tuned differently. "

The deep bass on my IIIa's is a completely different beast from my 3.7i's. My room is real favorable to 30 hz, and in the right set up I can get good bass down to the upper twenties with the old model, with a small and appreciated peak at 32. The new model only reaches into the upper thirties. However, the middle and especially upper bass is substantially better and fuller on the new guys. On most music, the new models have punchier effective bass. Considering I can also get better low bass from a good sub, I think the tuning of the new models is more practical for me.

One thing I forgot to mention for dealing with the peaky upper mids, is that I bought a pair of DWMs. This fills in the upper bass and lower mids and balances the IIIas. I am not currently using the DWMs with the 3.7i's. They simply do not need it. The IIIa's benefited greatly.

Oh, and I tried placing felt over the rear of the midrance at one time. It definitely affects frequency response and depth, but I was not happy with the overall effects in my room. It was a short lived experiment. Oddly it didn't just decrease mids. It increased it at some frequencies and decreased it in others. I don't know why.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.