Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Are my ears really that sensitive?

Well digital is likely going to sound somewhat harder and sharper than vinyl to some extent , no two ways about it.

I still use the Beresford Caiman Class A output DAC with the Gator Board (that has discrete components). This is the least digital sound I have heard, it's much smoother sounding than the older caiman board with integrated chips. I have ditched my newer Beresford Bushmaster. Quite smooth but way too bright sounding. There is a new Caiman 2 that people are raving about at the moment. Might try that one. I also have an Arcam RDAC which is duller sounding than the Beresfords and very smooth sounding, though it's not quite as detailed. That’s not a bad choice for someone who wants a smooth digital sound coming from analogue, and it can be very cheap if you pick up a used one. Apparently the Rega DAC is also very good too. I want to try that one. The Lavry DA10 or DA11 DAC is also supposed to sound very smooth, but more pricey.

I had a conversation on a headphone forum a few years ago about getting used to the tone of a particular headphone and this (quite technical) guy reckoned it takes about 2 weeks or more for your brain to become fully accustomed to the FR/tone of a new headphone and its only effective if you exclusively use that new headphone over that time. I have noticed this is certainly true with headphones. If you have been using one particular headphone for years, you've become very used to the Fr and virtually anything else won't sound right unless you give it time. Similarly if you want to be able to tolerate the lack of treble and bass on horn speakers it's only possible if those are exclusively the only type of speakers you listen too. So this is a key principle to bear in mind. You will be very used to the sound of your Record Deck. To be honest I think many record decks have a somewhat u shaped sound, and digital is flatter and more "accurate". When you are used to a u shaped sound, it can be pretty difficult (but still possible) to go to more "neutral". I certainly found this the case with headphones too.

If that doesn't work I suppose it might be possible to adjust your mid/tweeter crossover to give less in the presence region, and reduce the treble output too if you still have problems.

One thing I did notice with my 18 6 6 6 modified 3.3Rs (when I recently tried them after not hearing them for a couple of years) is that I think that crossover has way too much output in the presence region/at the crossover point of mid and tweeter. The mid and tweeter are connected with same polarity. I recall you using the same mid/tweeter crossover on your Tympanis. I remember in the past when I tried opposite polarity on mid and tweeter it was too sucked out in the presence region. Though it will affect imaging and you will not get linear phase I think it's possible Magnepans MGIII 18 6 6 12 crossover is better tonally at the crossover point, with the phase of the tweeter 90 degrees different to the other 18 6 6 6 crossover, and providing a nicer response in the presence region response. Can't tell you for sure as my 3.3Rs have a dead tweeter right now! Might be also be something worth altering if you intend to listen to digital.

Also I use interconnects made from Belden 89259 which has low capacitance and a very smooth and slightly dark sound. Something like that can help with digital too. Certainly stay away from anything with silver in it completely (interconnect or speaker cable wise)

Edits: 09/11/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.