Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Are my ears really that sensitive?

Hi Satie,

Many thanks for the explanation as to what I've been experiencing, - particularly with your last point. When I reduced the tweeter resistor to 0.47 ohms the bass was really reduced. I actually suspected the reason was a bit more than just the tweeter being louder, - the bass and mid had actually reduced too! Some fine balance to be tuned here. Its a bit of a pain in some ways. One might say I should have gone with triamping to get more control and avoid these sort of issues! In the meantime I think either 0.53 or 0.54 ohms will do nicely. When I've sorted that I get on with trying to address the hardness in the midrange with these MGIIIas.

Don't laugh but I'm not using vinyl much these days so don't experience end of side! In fact I'm mainly using the Spotify streaming service app from an Ipad Mini Retina into a DAC with a long USB cable (holding the ipad at listening chair!). Works very well and oh so very convenient. Perhaps not quite the full choice of everything with classical (but still very good), and all the mainstream stuff is there. Whatever you want to hear is one simple search away and plays immediately. I know it does not sound as good as vinyl, but I really like the convenience and the way you can listen to new stuff so easily. I recommend trying it with Ipad, PC or even a smartphone into a DAC. It free to try out.

I used to hate end of side distortion to be honest. I could always hear it even with setting up cartridges very well. Don't miss that not using vinyl much!

Edits: 09/10/14 09/10/14 09/10/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.