Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Are my ears really that sensitive?

Hi Roger,
Thanks for the tips.
The MGIIIas have magnets to the front, so its not so easy to add damping, but maybe I can suspend something like you say, or reverse the speakers back to front (though that will mess up my tweeter resistor tuning). Have you any ideas what's a good damping material to try.

I have tried measuring the FR sweep again using the Anthem ARC system in my MRX500 AV receiver (this time with a 0.47 ohm tweeter resistor installed instead of 1 ohm), though as we know dipoles are hard to measure so this is probably not quite what we hear. The output does look quite strong around 1-2 KHz, but its not as bad or a peaky as the measurements I took the other week before I changed the mid cap from 10 to 11.2uF and decreased the tweeter resistor. I guess the improvement in the peakiness has come from increasing the mid parallel cap.

I will try measuring at different positions in the room, - in fact with these graphs you can measure between 5-10 positions for a single graph and it averages it. I was doing 5 positions quite close around the listening area, which was probably not the best way to do it!

One thing I will say about the MGIIIa is that the bass (when they are run full range) is good. It's bigger and more punchy than the MG3.3Rs. Not sure why. The bass panel tension is different of course, - two buttons on the MGIIIa and one on the 3.3R and tuned differently.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.