Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Are my ears really that sensitive?

Thanks for your insights.

Assuming you had the same MGIIIa version as me (with 2 ohm tweeter and 1 ohm resistor) I think the reason it sounds wrong played face forward is because the tweeter is attenuated too much (like I say Magnepan not taking enough care with that tweeter change). Reversing the speaker obviously increases the tweeter output as there is no cloth or tweeter cage in the way. Decreasing the resistor value also does the job in increasing the highs very well though, but I'm still left with these peaky mids which are troublesome. According to Neoliths old spreadsheet (can't get the new version working) the older MGIII spec might reduce this midrange problem. I might try it. Its not too hard to do from where I am now with stock MGIIIa spec.

The 3.7i looks really nice from the views I've read. Apparently the older 3.7 model is colder sounding which I would not want. Again there is a problem in Europe as if you bought the original model there it's not feasible to send it back to Magnepan for the "i" upgrade.

Sadly my room is the wrong shape for the Limage set up and there is too much stuff in it at the moment, but I am very intrigued with views I've read about that configuration. When I get a more suitable room one day I will definitely try it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.