Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Are my ears really that sensitive?

I recently upgraded from my 27 year old IIIa's to the new 3.7i's and agree that the upper midrange is substantially smoother in the new speakers. The upper mids are the biggest difference between the two models, IMO.

Straight on, the upper mids are peaky in my room on the IIIa's. The way I always addressed it was to use a Limage type set up -- placing the speakers wide closer to side walls WAY out in the room from the front wall with minimal toe in and tweets inside. This reduces upper mids in two ways, it reduces the front wall reinforcement (based upon distance), and it reduces the direct mids due to minimal toe in. Side benefits are awesome low bass and amazing soundstaging. Others mileage may vary of course.

One last trick that worked in my room was to reverse the panels. I simply played them backward. This smoothed out the peaks and increased treble relative to mids, perhaps also compensating for my later model IIIa tweeter. I swear the IIIa sounds wrong to me when played facing forward. Reversing the panel is not without drawbacks, but the pros outweigh the cons, especially in a Limage setup.

For the record, I have not found the Limage set up to work to my ears in my room on the new 3.7i's (nor does playing them backward!). The new speakers only seem to work when set up as per the manual -- with tweeters aimed directly at or within inches of my ears. Even here, the upper mids are still recessed pleasantly.

Not sure if any of this helps. Setup can be so room dependent.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.