Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Had that noise from a pair of Maggie SMGs, but likely a whole different problem...

In my case?

I was in the Navy at the time. My system was NAD CD Player, NYAL Minuet preamp, Adcom 555II amp, and the Magnepan SMG speakers.

In port (obviously) and after a long duty day, I got back to my barracks room, I popped a CD into the player, and then hopped into a nice hot shower.

Moments later, I was startled out of the relative peace by what seemed like gunfire.

I ran out of the shower & was met by an even more deafening staccato.

Turned everything off, perhaps more to keep from going deaf than to protect the equipment!

After toweling off & inspecting EVERYTHING in the audio chain, it turned out that a fault in the NYAL preamp (fried capacitor & a few other parts) was pushing a nice "machine gun" waveform through my loudspeakers at pretty close to clipping levels on the Adcom amp. On the plus side? The amp and speakers were just fine. I managed to get an ARC LS3 from the local dealer in San Diego to replace the NYAL unit just before the glowing Stereophile review, so it was at the introductory price, and I was VERY happy with it. :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Had that noise from a pair of Maggie SMGs, but likely a whole different problem... - David S. 14:27:47 09/08/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.